The Musical Theatre Academy
Under the direction of Julie Parrish, Director of Performing Arts at the John Carroll School, The Musical Theatre Academy offers classes in both musical theatre and tap. Tap classes are offered for students ages 8-18 while musical theatre classes are offered for children ages 5-14.
2019-2020 Class Offerings
- Musical Theatre I (ages 5-14) - Mondays, 5:30 - 6:15 p.m.
- Musical Theatre II (ages 8-14) - Mondays, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.*
- Beginning Tap (ages 8-14) - Tuesdays, 5:45 - 6:45 p.m.
- Intermediate/Advanced Tap (ages 12-18) - Tuesdays, 4:45 - 5:45 p.m.
*Any student younger than age 8 who was previously enrolled in Musical Theatre I may register for Musical Theatre II; any student older than 14 who was previously enrolled in Musical Theatre II may register to participate as an intern. Contact Julie Parrish for more information.
Musical Theatre classes are held in the John Carroll auditorium** and are offered in two performance settings:
- Musical Theatre I – This class introduces the young performer to the fundamentals of musical theatre through Broadway-style choreography, acting exercises, and training in proper vocal production techniques. Students in this class (together with the tap classes) will present a showcase performance to parents in the spring semester. No performance fee is required for this class.
- Musical Theatre II – Students in this class apply all fundamental musical theatre techniques toward the production of a full-scale junior musical. From start to finish, students participate in the complete musical theatre experience beginning with the audition process, then casting, music/dance/blocking rehearsals, tech rehearsals, to eventually performing the show for parents and community. Student interns from the John Carroll School Theatre Arts program may be involved with aspects of this production including (but not limited to) teaching choreography, stage management, props/technical help, and performing in a role or the ensemble as needed. All registered students will fully participate as cast members of the class production. Casting decisions are left to the class instructor’s discretion. Refunds will not be issued due to dissatisfaction/disagreement over casting decisions. *There is a $225 performance fee required for this class, which helps cover production costs (theatrical rights, tech fees, costumes, props, etc.) that are unique to this class.
**Please note, Musical Theatre classes will be held at an alternate location (TBD) on November 25, December 2 and March 23.
Tap is a style of American theatrical dance distinguished by percussive footwork and rhythms. Tap classes are held in the dance studio at St. Joseph Hall and will be offered at two levels in the Musical Theatre Academy:
- Beginning Tap-Students will learn the fundamentals of tap choreography and terminology while also developing musicality, rhythm and coordination.
- Intermediate/Advanced Tap-Classes will focus on faster more intricate footwork allowing dancers to develop speed, clarity, dynamics and the ability to execute complex rhythmic patterns and combinations.
Tap students in both beginning and intermediate/advanced classes (together with Musical Theatre I) will present a showcase performance to parents/family in the spring.
Musical Theatre Academy Calendar
Classes begin the week of September 9, 2019 and run through May 2, 2020.
Classes will not be held on the following dates:
- Monday, October 14
- Monday, November 4 - Tuesday, November 5
- Winter Break, December 16-January 5
- Monday, February 17 - Tuesday, February 18
- Monday, March 16 - Tuesday, March 17
- Spring Break, April 6-13
- Tuesday, April 14
Last Class/Tech Rehearsals:
- Beginning Tap - last class will be a COMBINED class in the auditorium on Tuesday, April 28, from 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Int/Advanced Tap - last class will be a COMBINED class in the auditorium on Tuesday, April 28, from 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- Musical Theatre I - last class is on Monday, April 27, from 5:00-6:00 p.m. ***Please note the change in class time!***
- Musical Theatre II - last class is on Monday, April 20, at its regularly scheduled time
- Tech Rehearsals for Musical Theatre II Show will be held Monday-Thursday, April 27-30 & Saturday, May 2. It is imperative students enrolled in Musical Theatre II keep these dates open and available to accommodate for all tech/dress rehearsal needs.
Musical Theatre Academy Showcase, Friday, May 1 at 6:00 p.m. - This performance will showcase the Musical Theatre I and Tap students. This is a FREE event for friends & family!
Musical Theatre II Show, Saturday, May 2 at 1:00pm - $10 general admission
Tuition is due in full by September 1, 2019, unless other arrangements are made with the program director.
- Musical Theatre I – (25) 45 minute classes $262.50
- Musical Theatre II – (24) 1 hour classes $336.00*
- Beginning Tap - (26) 1 hour classes - $364.00
- Intermediate/Advanced Tap – (26) 1 hour classes - $364.00
*Musical Theatre II has a required performance fee of $225 due no later than October 15 to permit adequate time for securing costuming, set, and props, as well as to secure the legal rights to our selected production. All funds collected go directly to the cost of putting on the production.
Meet the Instructors
Julie Parrish (Musical Theatre I & II) is the Director of Performing Arts at the John Carroll School and is the department chair for the John Carroll Music Department. She graduated magna cum laude from Elon University in 2005 where she earned her BFA in Musical Theatre Performance with a minor in Music. Mrs. Parrish has been teaching at John Carroll since 2013, instructing chorus, a cappella choir, orchestra, AP Music Theory, band, and acting. She musically directs the Fall and Spring musicals at John Carroll, is the Artistic Managing Director for the John Carroll Community Theatre, and has recently stepped in as Director for the John Carroll Academy of Performing Arts & Dance's Musical Theatre Academy.
Mrs. Parrish has extensive Musical Direction experience with several local community, school, and children’s theatres including: Children’s Playhouse of Maryland; Phoenix Festival Theatre; Cockpit in Court; Pumpkin Theatre; Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community High School; Beth Tfiloh Community Theatre; Spotlighter’s Theatre; Teatro101; and Immaculate Conception School. In addition to Musical Direction, she has performed with several regional and community theatre organizations including John Carroll Community Theatre, Phoenix Festival Theatre, Dundalk Community Theatre, Beth Tfiloh Community Theatre, Suburban Players, Cockpit in Court, SummerStock at the Univ. of Findlay, and the Showpalace Dinner Theatre. She is excited to share her passion for musical theatre with the students of the John Carroll Musical Theatre Academy!
|Dickie Mahoney (Musical Theatre II) - Bio coming soon!
Becky Titelman (Beginning & Intermediate/Advanced Tap) has been performing in musical theatre productions since the age of six and dancing since the age of three. She holds a BFA in Musical Theatre at Elon University in North Carolina with a Minor in Dance. Becky has performed professionally all over the east coast, including Hershey Park, Wild Adventures Theme Park in GA, Allenberry Playhouse in PA, Seaside Music Theatre in Florida, and Main Street Theatre in PA, as well as off-off-Broadway productions when she lived in NYC for six years. Becky has been teaching dance since 2001 and choreographing for young performers in musicals for many years.
Becky’s tap numbers have been seen in Harford Dance Theatre’s productions of Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Harriet’s Happiest Halloween, and Snow White, and she choreographed the beginning party scene for HDT’s production of the Nutcracker. In 2017, Becky started her own theater company with two other colleagues called Scottfield Theatre Company, and she has choreographed their last four productions of Tuck Everlasting, Titanic, Mamma Mia, and Sister Act, and will be choreographing their upcoming production of Scrooge. Another love of Becky’s is writing, and she is a published children’s book author with eight books currently available. Her eighth book, It’s a Dog’s Life, will be released soon!