The Ballet Academy
Under the direction of Laura Ward-Moran, Director of the John Carroll College Preparatory Dance Program, The Ballet Academy has been founded to meet the need in our community for a structured, anatomically safe learning environment for students to obtain, grow and expand upon a proper ballet foundation.
Technique classes are offered for children ages 6-14; students entering high school can audition for our highly selective College Preparatory Dance Program. Dancers ages 12-18 also can register for certified instruction in the Pilates Method of Body Conditioning offered through the Ballet Academy. Modern technique classes are also offered for ages 10-18.
Through the John Carroll Ballet Academy, we offer the highest level of instruction for every child; our youngest dancers receive the same level of expertise in their instruction as our eldest. Integrity is always maintained by students and staff and class time is devoted to training and perfecting dancers in the intricacies of ballet and modern technique, not in preparing recital dances. Students in our Foundations and Technique classes have an opportunity to showcase their work each spring to their families in our auditorium (Ballet Preparation has an in-class demonstration) via our Ballet Academy Showcase held after our College Preparatory Dance Program Spring Concert. We do not charge a performance fee and there are no costume fees! Our showcase is intended as a demonstration of the work they have achieved in class.
2019-2020 Class Offerings
- Ballet Foundation I (ages 6 & 7) - Fridays, 5:00 - 5:45 p.m.
- Ballet Foundation II (ages 8-9) - Wednesdays, 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Ballet Technique III (ages 10-11) - Fridays, 5:45 - 7:00 p.m.**
- Ballet Technique IV (ages 12-14) - Wednesdays, 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.***
- Ballet Technique III/IV Combined (ages 11-14) - Saturdays, 10:15 - 11:30 a.m.***
- Pilates Method of Body Conditioning for Dancers (ages 12-18) - Thursdays, 4:30 - 5:15 p.m.
- Modern I (ages 10-12) - Saturdays, 9:15 - 10:15 a.m.
- Modern II (ages 13-14) - Saturdays, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Modern III (ages 15-18) - Saturdays, 10:15 - 11:30 a.m.
**Minimum of two years prior ballet training required
***Minimum of three years prior ballet training required
Ballet Academy Calendar
Classes begin the week of September 9 and run through May 2.
Classes will not be held on the following dates:
- Thursday, September 19
- Friday, October 11
- Saturday, October 12
- Thursday, October 31
- Saturday, November 2
- Saturday, November 16
- Wednesday- Saturday November 27-30
- Winter Break December 16-January 6
- Saturday, February 1
- Wednesday-Saturday, February 26-29
- Spring Break, April 6-13
- Thursday, April 23
Ballet Academy Showcase, Saturday May 9 (rehearsal day TBD; held week prior)
Tuition is due in full by September 1, 2019, unless other arrangements are made with the program director.
- Ballet Foundation I – (27) 45 minute classes $283.50
- Ballet Foundation II – (28) 1 hour classes $392
- Ballet Technique III – (27) 1.25 hour classes $472.50
- Ballet Technique IV – (28) 1.5 hour classes $588
- Ballet Technique III/IV Combined- (24) 1.25 hour classes $420
- Pilates Method of Body Conditioning for Dancers - (25) 45 minute classes $262.50
- Modern I - (24) 1 hour classes $336
- Modern II - (24) 1 hour classes $336
- Modern III - (24) 1.25 hour classes $420
We welcome all students in our community who are looking to start or further their dance technical training to join us this fall!
Ballet classes have a specific uniform to purchase; all other classes will be provided details of what to wear end of August.
Meet the Instructors
Laura Ward-Moran (Ballet Technique, Pilates and PBT) is the owner of Harford Premier Pilates, LLC and the director of the John Carroll School College Preparatory Dance Program. An award-winning dancer, choreographer, Pilates Instructor and educator, she earned her BA in Dance Education with Secondary Maryland State Certification from Goucher College in 1999 and has performed with Howard County Ballet, Choregraphie Antique, and Nancy Wanich-Romita and the Moving Company. She is a level V+ certified Romana’s Pilates/Authentic Pilates instructor and, in 2018, also received her certification in Progressing Ballet Technique. Mrs. Ward-Moran has more than 20 years of teaching experience, predominantly through her former school, Maryland School of Ballet and Modern Dance, Inc. which she founded and owned for 15 years, producing 29 original productions on her students.
Prior, her experience included writing the dance portion of an integrated arts curriculum for Harford County Public Schools, implementing a dance program for Parkville High School, and most recently, launching the College Preparatory Dance Program at the John Carroll School, which has tripled in size since its inception in 2016. She is a member of the Harford County Cultural Arts Advisory Board, the NDEO and the Maryland Dance Council, and is the sponsor for the JC NHSDA Chapter. For her full bio, please visit the College Preparatory Dance page.